To offer an up-to-date appraisal of the current status of enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) protocols in pediatric urology and to provide a guide for the clinical urologist.
Materials and methods
We performed a comprehensive literature search and scoping review on ERAS protocols in pediatric urology using Pubmed (from 1946), Cochrane library, and MEDLINE to December 2021 with the terms ‘‘enhanced recovery’’, ‘‘protocolised care’’, ‘‘post-operative protocol”, ‘‘fast-track surgery’’ and ‘‘pediatric urology”. Studies were excluded if they did not include perioperative intervention related to urological procedures, no full-text available and in non-English language.
To date, eight clinical studies (involving 1153 patients) have been published on ERAS protocols in pediatric urology. The patients involved ranged from neonates to adolescents, and the urological procedures included bladder augmentation, the Mitrofanoff procedure, laparoscopic pyeloplasty, laparoscopic nephrectomy, hypospadias repair, etc. Multidisciplinary components such as surgical and anesthetic considerations have been employed in ERAS protocols. The length of hospital stay was significantly lower in the ERAS groups with earlier enteral feeding resumption and return of bowel function in pediatric urology patients. The implementation of ERAS protocols does not result in higher complication and readmission rates; instead, some studies have even demonstrated a significant reduction in complication occurrence.
ERAS is novel to pediatric urology with a limited scale of published data in the literature. Initial clinical studies revealed that ERAS appears to be efficacious in the field of pediatric urology. Further prospective studies formulating a standardized multimodal protocol are encouraged to better understand key components of ERAS and incorporate ERAS into clinical practice to optimize surgical outcomes for pediatric urology procedures.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Urology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Multimodal approach to control postoperative pathophysiology and rehabilitation.Br J Anaesth. 1997; 78: 606-617
- Enhanced recovery after surgery: a review.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152: 292-298
- Embracing change: the era for pediatric ERAS is here.Pediatr Surg Int. 2019; 35: 631-634
- Enhancing recovery after minimally invasive surgery in children: a systematic review of the literature and meta-analysis.J Pediatr Surg. 2021; 56: 2157-2164
- Fast-track recovery of the coronary bypass patient.Ann Thorac Surg. 1994; 58: 1742-1746
- Enhanced recovery after surgery in paediatrics: a review of the literature.BJA Educ. 2020; 20: 235-241
- Enhanced recovery after surgery: a consensus review of clinical care for patients undergoing colonic resection.Clin Nutr. 2005; 24: 466-477
- Enhanced Recovery after Surgery (ERAS): good for now, but what about the future?.Can J Anaesth. 2015; 62: 99-104
- Guidelines for perioperative care in elective colonic surgery: enhanced Recovery after Surgery (ERAS((R))) Society recommendations.World J Surg. 2013; 37: 259-284
- Consensus guidelines for enhanced recovery after gastrectomy: enhanced Recovery after Surgery (ERAS(R)) Society recommendations.Br J Surg. 2014; 101: 1209-1229
- Guidelines for perioperative care for pancreaticoduodenectomy: enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS(R)) society recommendations.World J Surg. 2013; 37: 240-258
- Guidelines for perioperative care after radical cystectomy for bladder cancer: enhanced Recovery after Surgery (ERAS((R))) society recommendations.Clin Nutr. 2013; 32: 879-887
- Guidelines for perioperative care in elective rectal/pelvic surgery: enhanced Recovery after Surgery (ERAS(R)) Society recommendations.Clin Nutr. 2012; 31: 801-816
- Rhoads lecture 2011: insulin resistance and enhanced recovery after surgery.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2012; 36: 389-398
- Enhanced recovery after surgery: the future of improving surgical care.Crit Care Clin. 2010; 26 (x): 527-547
- What is the role of enhanced recovery after surgery in children? A scoping review.Pediatr Surg Int. 2017; 33: 43-51
- Enhanced recovery after surgery in children: promising, evidence-based multidisciplinary care.Paediatr Anaesth. 2018; 28: 482-492
- Creation of an Enhanced Recovery after Surgery (ERAS) Guideline for neonatal intestinal surgery patients: a knowledge synthesis and consensus generation approach and protocol study.BMJ Open. 2018; 8: e023651
- Consensus guidelines for perioperative care in neonatal intestinal surgery: enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS.World J Surg. 2020; 44: 2482-2492
- Changes in body composition after lung transplantation in children.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2013; 32: 800-806
- Enhanced recovery after surgery protocols in pediatric urology-how are we doing and what should we be doing?.J Urol. 2018; 200: 952-953
- Utilization of and barriers to enhanced recovery pathway implementation in pediatric urology.J Pediatr Urol. 2021; 17: 294 e1-294 e9
- Opioid prescribing patterns following implementation of Enhanced Recovery after Surgery (ERAS) protocol in pediatric patients undergoing lower tract urologic reconstruction.J Pediatr Urol. 2021; 17: 84 e1-84 e8
- Enhanced recovery after surgery and anesthetic outcomes in pediatric reconstructive urologic surgery.Pediatr Surg Int. 2021; 37: 151-159
- Evolving trends in peri-operative management of pediatric ureteropelvic junction obstruction: working towards quicker recovery and day surgery pyeloplasty.World J Urol. 2021; 39: 3677-3684
- Prospective study of enhanced recovery after surgery protocol in children undergoing reconstructive operations.J Pediatr Urol. 2018; 14: 252 e1-252 e9
- Perioperative analgesia strategies in fast-track pediatric surgery of the kidney and renal pelvis: lessons learned.World J Urol. 2010; 28: 215-219
- Enhanced recovery after surgery protocol for pediatric urological augmentation and diversion surgery using small bowel.J Urol. 2018; 200: 1100-1106
- Hypospadias surgery in children: improved service model of enhanced recovery pathway and dedicated surgical team.Hong Kong Med J. 2018; 24: 238-244
- Implementation and sustainability of an enhanced recovery pathway in pediatric bladder reconstruction: flexibility, commitment, teamwork.J Pediatr Urol. 2021; 17: 782-789
- Pain assessment and management in children in the postoperative period: a review of the most commonly used postoperative pain assessment tools, new diagnostic methods and the latest guidelines for postoperative pain therapy in children.Adv Clin Exp Med. 2020; 29: 365-374
- Enhanced recovery after surgery in pediatric gastrointestinal surgery.J Int Med Res. 2019; 47: 4815-4826
- Application of enhanced recovery after surgery during the perioperative period in infants with Hirschsprung’s disease - a multi-center randomized clinical trial.Clin Nutr. 2020; 39: 2062-2069
- Racial and socioeconomic differences manifest in process measure adherence for enhanced recovery after surgery pathway.Dis Colon Rectum. 2017; 60: 1092-1101
- Design and development of the pediatric urology recovery after surgery endeavor (PURSUE) multicentre pilot and exploratory study.BMJ Open. 2020; 10: e039035
Published online: August 02, 2022
Accepted: July 25, 2022
Received in revised form: June 4, 2022
Received: March 3, 2022
© 2022 Journal of Pediatric Urology Company. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.