Material and methods
Abbreviations:DMAIC (Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, Control), GPT (Groin-Penis Tray), GU (Genitourinary), QI (Quality Improvement), OR (Operating Room), PRN (Pro Re Nata)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
National Healthcare Expenditures Data [Cited 2022 March 7]. Available from: https://www.cms.gov/files/document/nhe-projections-2019-2028-forecast-summary.pdf.
- Reducing waste in US health care systems.JAMA. 2007; 297: 871-874https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.297.8.871
- What can we learn from pediatric urology certification logs?.Urology. 2011; 78: 147-152https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2010.12.078
- Decreasing operating room costs via reduction of surgical instruments.J Pediatr Urol. 2019; 15 (153 e1- e6)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpurol.2019.01.013
- Reduction and standardization of surgical instruments in pediatric inguinal hernia repair.J Pediatr Urol. 2018; 14: 20-24https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpurol.2017.08.002
Isixsigma Dmaic Quick Reference [cited 2021 June 30]. Available from: https://www.isixsigma.com/new-to-six-sigma/dmaic/six-sigma-dmaic-quick-reference/.
- Assessing the magnitude and costs of intraoperative inefficiencies attributable to surgical instrument trays.J Am Coll Surg. 2014; 219: 646-655https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2014.06.019
- Efficiency improvement in the operating room.J Surg Res. 2016; 204: 371-383https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2016.04.054
- Standardization of operative equipment reduces cost.J Pediatr Surg. 2013; 48: 1843-1849https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2012.11.045
- Applying lean methods to improve quality and safety in surgical sterile instrument processing.Joint Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2013; 39: 99-105https://doi.org/10.1016/s1553-7250(13)39014-x
- Reducing otolaryngology surgical inefficiency via assessment of tray redundancy.J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2014; 43: 46https://doi.org/10.1186/s40463-014-0046-2
- Reducing cost and improving operating room efficiency: examination of surgical instrument processing.J Surg Res. 2018; 229: 15-19https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2018.03.038
- Surgical tray optimization as a simple means to decrease perioperative costs.J Surg Res. 2017; 220: 320-326https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2017.06.029
- Application of lean methodology for improved quality and efficiency in operating room instrument availability.J Healthc Qual. 2015; 37: 277-286https://doi.org/10.1111/jhq.12053
- Lean principles to optimize instrument utilization for spine surgery in an academic medical center: an opportunity to standardize, cut costs, and build a culture of improvement.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2014; 39: 1714-1717https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0000000000000480
- Data analysis of plastic surgery instrument trays yields significant cost savings and efficiency gains.Ann Plast Surg. 2021; 86: S635-S639https://doi.org/10.1097/SAP.0000000000002913