I read with great interest the article recently published in the Journal of Pediatric Urology titled “Erectile dysfunction in patients undergoing multiple attempts at hypospadias repair: Etiologies and concerns” [
]. The author suggests that the combination of congenital, surgically induced, and aging defects leads to the early onset of erectile dysfunction (ED) in patients who have failed multiple attempts to repair hypospadias. They found that repeated direct visual internal urethrotomy (DVIU) to treat urethral stricture was significantly associated with ED and strongly recommend abandoning repeated DVIUs. It is interesting to see the high incidence (100%) of ED in patients with distal 1/3 penile shaft hypospadias (possibly with meatal stenosis) treated with more than one DVIU. Although the author did not address, we would like to point out the similarity of the DVIU to the TIPU (tubularised incised plate urethroplasty) and their deleterious effects on the distal ligament (corporo-glans ligament).
- Husmann D.A.
Erectile dysfunction in patients undergoing multiple attempts at hypospadias repair: Etiologies and concerns.
J Pediatr Urol. 2021; 17 (166.e1-166.e7)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpurol.2020.12.002
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Urology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Erectile dysfunction in patients undergoing multiple attempts at hypospadias repair: Etiologies and concerns.J Pediatr Urol. 2021; 17 (166.e1-166.e7)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpurol.2020.12.002
- Ligamentous structures in human glans penis.J Anat. 2019; 234: 83-88https://doi.org/10.1111/joa.12896
- Anatomischer Hand-Atlas zum Gebrauch im Secirsaal (Band 6).Eingeweide-Braunschweig, 1877 (Available via University Library Heidelberg. Available from:)
- The mystery of Jacob Henle's “septum glandis”.J Anat. 2019; 234: 728-729https://doi.org/10.1111/joa.12965
- TIP hypospadias repair: a pediatric urology indicator operation.J Pediatr Urol. 2016; 12: 11e8https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpurol.2015.08.016
Published online: June 09, 2021
Accepted: June 1, 2021
Received: May 28, 2021
© 2021 Journal of Pediatric Urology Company. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Erectile dysfunction in patients undergoing multiple attempts at hypospadias repair: Etiologies and concernsJournal of Pediatric UrologyVol. 17Issue 2Open Access