|Survey and responses: Vancouver survey (69 HIC Pediatric urologists and LMIC urologists and general surgeons),
APSA survey (131 American pediatric surgeons), GICS survey (41 LMIC children's surgeons)
Most neglected conditions: Hypospadias, Bladder/cloacal exstrophy, Neurogenic bladder, Hernias and hydroceles, DSD
Challenges: Infrastructure deficiencies, Socio- cultural, Lack of consumables, Inadequate Training, Lack of data repository, Lack of communication between HIC teams
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global Surgery 2030: evidence and solutions for achieving health, welfare, and economic development.Lancet. 2015; 386: 569-624
- Global surgery: defining an emerging global health field.Lancet. 2014; 384: 2245-2247
- Congenital anomalies in the context of global surgery.Semin Pediatr Surg. 2016; 25 (february): 15-18
- Congenital Anomalies: fact sheet No. 370.2012
- Data and statistics: birth defects.([Online] Available at:)https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/birthdefects/data.htmlDate: 2017Date accessed: January , 2019
- The burden of pediatric surgical conditions in low and middle income countries: a call to action.J Pediatr Surg. 2012; 47: 2305-2311
- Children in Africa: key statistics on child survival, protection, and development.2015 (Available at:)https://data.unicef.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Children-in-Africa-Brochure-Nov-23-HR_245.pdfDate accessed: April 5, 2019
- Pediatric surgery as an essential component of global child health.Semin Pediatr Surg. 2016; 25 (February): 3-9
- Global health: a lasting partnership in paediatric surgery.Afr J Paediatr Surg. 2015; 12 (april): 114-118
- Global general pediatric surgery partnership: the UCLA–Mozambique experience.J Pediatr Surg. 2017; 52: 1528-1533
- Pediatric surgical camps as one model of global surgical partnership: a Way Forward.J Pediatr Surg. 2014; 49: 786-790
- The pediatric surgery workforce in low- and middle-income countries: problems and priorities.Semin Pediatr Surg. 2015; 25: 32-42
- Global comparison of pediatric surgery workforce and training.J Pediatr Surg. 2015; 50: 1180-1183
- Bladder exstrophy: an epidemiologic study from the international clearinghouse for birth defects surveillance and research, and an overview of the literature.Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet. 2011; 157C (15): 321-332
- Birth defects in south-east Asia a public health challenge: situation analysis.2013 (Available at:)
Global Initiative for Children's Surgery: Newsletters and publications. Available at https://www.globalchildrenssurgery.org.
Global Pediatric Surgery Network. Available at https://apsapedsurg.org.
What we do. Kids Operating Room. Available at https://www.kidsor.org . [Accessed january 2019].
Who we are, What we do. Surgery For Children. Available at https://www.surgeryforchildren.org.
- Pediatric surgical capacity in Africa: current status and future needs.J Pediatr Surg. 2017; 52 (may): 843-848
- Survey of african pediatric surgeons: how should international partners help?.in: American Academy of Pediatrics, Surgical section annual meeting. 2015
- Ethics in global pediatric surgery: existing dilemmas and emerging challenges.World J Surg. June 2019; 43: 1466-1473
WHO Guidelines for health care equipment donations. Available at: http://www.who.int/medical_devices/publications/en/Donation_Guidelines.pdf[Accessed july 26t2019].
- Accountability in global surgery missions.BMJ Glob Health. 2018; 3e001025
- Evaluating international global health collaborations: perspectives from surgery and anesthesia trainees in Uganda.Surgery. 2014; 155: 585-592
- Pediatric urology and global health: why now and how to build a successful global outreach program.Urol Clin. 2018; 45: 623-631
- Surgical outcomes and cultural perceptions in international hypospadias care.J Urol. 2014; 192 (august): 524-529
- The brain drain myth: retention of specialist surgical graduates in East ,central and southern Africa 1974-2013.World J Surg. 2017; 41: 3046-3053
- An approach to assessment of global pediatric surgery partnerships targeting long-term capacity building in resource-limited settings.Annals of Global Health. 2015; 81: 88-89
- Let our fellows go: a plea for allowing global surgery electives during pediatric surgical training.J Pediatr Surg. 2017; 52: 2088-2090
- Disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) for 291 diseases and injuries in 21 regions, 1990–2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010 december, 15.Lancet. 2012; 380: 2197-2223
- An investment in knowledge: research in global pediatric surgery for the 21st century.Semin Pediatr Surg. 2016; 25: 51-60
- Partnership in fellowship: comparative analysis of pediatric surgical training and evaluation of a fellow exchange between Canada and Kenya.J Pediatr Surg. 2016; 51: 1704-1710
- Estimating pediatric surgical need in developing countries: a household survey in Rwanda.J Pediatr Surg. 2014; 49: 1092-1098
- Establishing disability weights for congenital paediatric surgical disease: a cross-sectional, multi-modal study.Lancet. 2013; 381
- Worldwide prevalence of hypospadias.J Pediatr Urol. 2016; 12 (e1-7): 152
- A model for sustained collaboration to address the unmet global burden of bladder exstrophy-epispadias complex and penopubic epispadias: the international bladder exstrophy consortium.JAMA Surg. 2018; 153: 618-624https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2018.0067
- The African pediatric fellowship program: training in Africa for African.Pediatrics. 2016; 137
- IVUmed: a nonprofit model for surgical training in low- resource countries.Annals of Global Health. 2015; 81: 260-264
- http://www.ivumed.org/([Accessed September 2018])Date: 2018
Urolink At British Association of Urologic Surgeons. Available at https://www.baus.org.uk
What we do. Medicins Sans Frontiere. Available at https://www.msf.org.
About us, and our stories at CURE International. Available at https://cure.org.
Our work. Mercyships. Available at https://www.mercyships.africa
- Establishing disability weights for congenital pediatric surgical conditions: a multi-modal approach.Popul Health Metrics. 2017; 15
- Guidelines and checklists for short-term missions in global pediatric surgery.Pediatr Anesth. 2018; 28: 392-410https://doi.org/10.1111/pan.13378
- International volunteerism and global responsibility.Transl Androl Urol. 2017; 6: 258-263
- Impact of global medicine on urologic education.Current Urology Reports. 2011; 12 (April): 132-136
- International surgical missions: how to approach, what to avoid.Urol Times. 2013; 41 (28-28. 3 october)
- Developing pediatric surgery in low- and middle-income countries: an evaluation of contemporary education and care delivery models.Semin Pediatr Surg. 2016; 25: 43-50
- The burden of pediatric surgical disease in low-resource settings: discovering it, measuring it, and addressing it.J Pediatr Surg. 2015; 51: 216-220
- Unifying children’s surgery and anesthesia stakeholders across institutions and clinical disciplines: challenges and solutions from Uganda.World J Surg. 2019; 43 (2019 Jun): 1435-1449https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-018-04905-9
- Fragmented international volunteerism: need for a global pediatric surgery network.J Pediatr Surg. 2010; 45: 303-309
WHO. Workforce alliance. [Online] Available at: https//www.who.int/workforcealliance/en.
Who we are and what we do. EMERGENCY. Available at https://en.emergency.it.
Our Impact. Association for the Bladder Exstrophy Community. Available at https://www.bladderexstrophy.com.