Lipofilling has been used in plastic surgery for breast reconstruction and treatment of burns. Carrying out minimally invasive techniques would allow treatment of hypertrophic scars and depressed suprapubic area in exstrophic patients to improve their aesthetic appearance.
Material and methods
This video presents the case of a female 16 year old patient with bladder exstrophy, who initially had an urinary reconstruction with ureterosigmoidostomy and posteriorly bladder augmentation and Mitrofanoff, with hypertrophic scars and depressed abdominal wall in suprapubic area. We present this procedure for autologous fat grafting with stem cells in the abdominal area.
The lipofilling procedure was carried out successfully, without intraoperative complications in 120 min. The liposuction was 250 cc and 80 cc was used for injection, achieving the improvement of the aesthetic appearance of the scars in a short time. The imaging control was follow up with abdominal wall ultrasound, three months later, increasing its thickness by 42%.
The autologous fat grafting with stem cells is a safe and feasible procedure in the exstrophic population, with excellent aesthetic results, but we need long term follow ups to determine how long the effect of fat grafting remains.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Urology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Current applications of adipose-derived stem cells and their future perspectives.World J Stem Cell. 2014; 6: 65-68
- The power of fat and its adipose-derived stromal cells: emerging concepts for fibrotic scar treatment.J Tissue Eng Regen Med. 2017; 11: 3220-3235
- Hand rejuvenation with structural fat grafting.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2002; 110 (discussion 45-7): 1731-1744
- Fat injection for cases of severe burn outcomes: a new perspective of scar remodeling and reduction.Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2020; 44: 1278-1282
Published online: December 21, 2020
Accepted: December 14, 2020
Received: October 12, 2020
Published by Elsevier Ltd on behalf of Journal of Pediatric Urology Company.