The da Vinci SP® Robotic Surgical Platform (Intuitive Surgical) was recently introduced to overcome triangulation and motion restriction during laparoendoscopic single-site surgery. The authors describe a pure, single-site, robot-assisted, laparoscopic pyeloplasty (RALP) using the da Vinci SP System in a pediatric patient.
Material and methods
A 10-year-old patient with ureteropelvic junction obstruction underwent pyeloplasty conducted using the da Vinci SP® System. Retrospective perioperative and immediate postoperative outcomes were investigated.
Surgery was completed with pure single-site surgery without additional port placement or standard multiport conversion. The total operation time was 211 min, and the console time was 90 min. The docking time was much greater than that of previous pyeloplasty operations using multiport system. This result may be because of difficulties caused by bulky instrumentation entering the pneumoperitoneum. The estimated blood loss was minor, and there were no intraoperative or perioperative complications. Ureteral stent was removed after 4 weeks. Cosmetic outcomes were satisfactory.
Pure, single-site RALP using da Vinci SP® System seems feasible in aging children. Additional studies involving more patients, younger children, and long-term outcomes are required.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Urology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Laparoendoscopic single-site surgery for pediatric urologic disease.J Endourol. 2016; 30: 24-27
- Transumbilical multi-port laparoscopic pyeloplasty versus transumbilical single-site laparoscopic pyeloplasty for ureteropelvic junction obstruction in children: a retrospectively comparative study.J Pediatr Urol. 2017; 13 (e1-.e5): 618
- Single-site robotic platform in clinical practice: first cases in the USA.Minerva Urol Nefrol. 2019;
- Robotic urologic surgical interventions performed with the single port dedicated platform: first clinical investigation.Eur Urol. 2018;
- Hidden incision endoscopic surgery: description of technique, parental satisfaction and applications.J Urol. 2011; 185: 1425-1431
Published online: August 15, 2019
Accepted: August 4, 2019
Received: March 26, 2019
© 2019 Journal of Pediatric Urology Company. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.