To evaluate the effectiveness of the first postnatal ultrasound (US) in predicting the final postnatal diagnosis using a database of children followed prospectively for antenatal hydronephrosis, and to compare these findings with a systematic review of the literature.
The study involved 1441 children who had their radiological evaluation between 3 and 60 days of life, including an US, performed at our institution in 1998–2006. Univariate and multivariate analyses were performed. A systematic review of articles on prenatal hydronephrosis resulted in 31 studies with 2202 patients who met the inclusion criteria for analysis.
62.0% of renal units (RUs) had transient or non-obstructive hydronephrosis. Increasing degree of hydronephrosis correlated with increased risk of urological pathologies (from 29.6% RUs in the mild group to 96.3% RUs in the severe group). A systematic review of the literature indicated very poor quality data, but the findings appeared to be concordant with those from our patient population.
The findings from this study will help to quantify the incidence of postnatal pathology based upon the first postnatal US parameters. This information is useful for counseling and for determining which postnatal radiological tests will be necessary.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Urology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Birth Defects Surveillance data from selected States, 1997–2001.NBDPN, 2004 (677–771)
- Natural history of fetal hydronephrosis diagnosed on mid-trimester ultrasound.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2001; 17: 191-196
- Antenatal hydronephrosis as a predictor of postnatal outcome: a meta-analysis.Pediatrics. 2006; 118: 586-593
- Ureteropelvic junction anomalies: congenital UPJ problems in children.in: Gearhart J.P. Rink R.C. Mouriquand P.D.E. Pediatric urology. W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia2001: 318-346
- Ultrasound grading of hydronephrosis: introduction to the system used by the Society for Fetal Urology.Pediatr Radiol. 1993; 23: 478-480
- Reliability assessment of Society for Fetal Urology ultrasound grading system for hydronephrosis.J Urol. 2008; 180 (discussion 1682–1683): 1680-1682
Nguyen HT, Herndon CD, Cooper C, Gatti J, Kirsch A, Kokorowski P, et al: The Society for Fetal Urology consensus statement on the evaluation and management of antenatal hydronephrosis. J Pediatr Urol 6:212–231
- A 5-year audit of 778 neonatal renal scans (Part 1): perplexing pyelectasis and suggested protocol for investigation.Australas Radiol. 2003; 47: 349-353
- Fetal pyelectasis: is it always “physiologic”.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1995; 173: 1263-1266
- Postnatal management of infants with antenatally detected hydronephrosis.Pediatr Nephrol. 2005; 20: 1253-1259
- Antenatally diagnosed renal pelvis dilatation.Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2000; 82: F171
- Vesicoureteral reflux and clinical outcomes in infants with prenatally detected hydronephrosis.J Urol. 2002; 168 (discussion 1719): 1716-1719
- Diagnosis of obstructive hydronephrosis in infants: comparison sonograms performed 6 days and 6 weeks after birth.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1995; 164: 963-967
- The fate of infant kidneys with fetal hydronephrosis but initially normal postnatal sonography.J Urol. 1989; 142 (discussion 667–668): 661-662
- [Postnatal echography and cystography after prenatal diagnosis of minor dilatation of the kidney pelvis. Prospective study of 89 cases].J Radiol. 1997; 78: 27-31
- Renal ultrasonography in newborns with prenatally detected hydronephrosis: why wait?.J Urol. 1997; 157: 1387-1389
- Renal pyelectasis in fetuses and neonates: diagnostic value of renal pelvis diameter in pre- and postnatal sonographic screening.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1997; 168: 1017-1019
- Clinical relevance and implications of antenatal hydronephrosis.Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 1997; 76: F31-F34
- Feto-neonatal ultrasonography to detect renal abnormalities: evaluation of 1-year screening program.Am J Perinatol. 1998; 15: 161-164
- The association of isolated mild fetal hydronephrosis with postnatal vesicoureteral reflux.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2002; 12: 196-200
- Diagnosis and treatment of antenatal uropathies.J Paediatr Child Health. 1990; 26: 142-147
- Analysis of trends on serial ultrasound for high grade neonatal hydronephrosis.J Urol. 2002; 168: 1518-1521
- Results of systematic voiding cystourethrography in infants with antenatally diagnosed renal pelvis dilation.J Pediatr. 2002; 141: 21-24
- long-term clinical outcome of infants with mild and moderate fetal pyelectasis: validation of neonatal ultrasound as a screening tool to detect significant nephrouropathies.J Pediatr. 2004; 144: 759-765
- Prospective study of outcome in antenatally diagnosed renal pelvis dilatation.Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 1999; 80: F135-F138
- The accuracy of antenatal ultrasonography in identifying renal abnormalities.Am J Dis Child. 1992; 146: 1181-1184
- Post-natal management of antenatally detected, bilateral hydronephrosis.Urol Int. 1993; 51: 79-84
- Antenatal diagnosis of upper urinary tract dilation by ultrasonography.Fetal Diagn Ther. 1996; 11: 191-198
- Clinical characteristics and outcome of hydronephrosis detected by prenatal ultrasonography.J Korean Med Sci. 2003; 18: 859-862
- Antenatal ultrasonography to detect fetal renal abnormalities: a prospective screening programme.BMJ. 1989; 298: 1421-1423
- Mild fetal hydronephrosis indicating vesicoureteric reflux.Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 1994; 70 (discussion 149–150): F147-F149
- Value of supranormal function and renogram patterns on 99mTc-mercaptoacetyltriglycine scintigraphy in relation to the extent of hydronephrosis for predicting ureteropelvic junction obstruction in the newborn.J Nucl Med. 2003; 44: 725-731
- Early management and postnatal investigation of prenatally diagnosed hydronephrosis.Clin Radiol. 1996; 51: 173-176
- Mild pyelectasis ascertained with prenatal ultrasonography is pediatrically significant.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 1997; 10: 12-18
- Vesicoureteral reflux in infants with isolated antenatal hydronephrosis.Pediatr Nephrol. 2003; 18: 1224-1228
- Prenatal diagnosis and management of mild fetal pyelectasis: implications for neonatal outcome and follow-up.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2005; 118: 154-159
- Outcome of fetal renal pelvic dilatation diagnosed during the third trimester.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 25: 483-488
Published online: October 18, 2010
Accepted: September 7, 2010
Received: July 24, 2010
© 2010 Journal of Pediatric Urology Company. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.